Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The Woman in Gold is Pure Gold

The Woman In Gold


Yesterday I saw the movie, The Woman in Gold.


It is based on a true story about Maria Altmann, who sues the Austrian government in the 90s to get back the Klimt portrait of her aunt which belonged to her family and was stolen by the Nazis.


Helen Mirren, as Maria, and Ryan Reynolds, as Randy Schoenberg, a young inexperienced lawyer, deliver dazzling performances. There are many flashbacks woven into the storyline. The brilliant last scene made me choke up.


Maria reminds me of a couple of my husband's relatives, both Holocaust survivors.


I highly recommend The Woman in Gold and predict it will win some Academy Awards next year. It is pure gold.

6 comments:

  1. Glad to read this endorsement, Barbara. I found the subject (and the actors) to be the sort I would go see, but the reviews were so lukewarm I wondered if this was a missed opportunity. I would have seen it anyway, but I'm glad the movie has a fan in you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be interested in your opinion if you do see it, MIrka.

      Delete
  2. I love Helen Mirren - she's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't she great as The Queen? She's equally believable as an eighty-something Jewish Austrian-American.

      Delete
  3. Definitely on my radar to see. Thanks for a wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete

Give a hoot.